For those of you who don’t know…I had a baby June 19! She is number two and her name is Anna Louise. She is cute, cuddly, and farts a lot. Having two kids is no joke especially when the three year old acts out. I know this is totally normal so take heart all you mamas that it will get better. That’s what I tell myself every time I feel like crying! Being a boss lady and having multiple little kids is challenging because it’s unexplored territory. I wouldn’t, however, change anything no matter how many times a day I cry. Haha!
For those of you mamas with one kid and baby fever here are my takeaways after the first two weeks with two kids and a C – section:
- Your older kid will throw tantrums, be mean to you, and not be himself. Mine actually wanted Daddy a lot more which was heartbreaking, but once I learned this is normal behavior I sucked it up. I know he will grow out of it.
- Tend to the older kid: When the older kid asks for you drop what you are doing (or gently put your newborn down even if she is crying) to tend to the older kid. This means A LOT to them. He will notice you are putting his needs above baby and realize Mommy is still there for him. This has made such a big difference for me.
- Include your older kid in helping with baby and things around the house. They love to be included. Cuddle and hug as often as you can.
- Empathize with your older kid: Tell them you know it’s hard adjusting to having a new baby in the house. It’s hard for Mommy too but it will get better. Mommy loves you just the same and you can always talk to me. I had a big moment yesterday just hugging my son for five minutes telling him all these things. He was really good afterwards.
- Your body adjusts better second time around: I remember when I had Joe I was shocked how much of a life altering change had just happened. I was hormonal, sore, and exhausted. I felt lonely. I still have all these things this time around but it’s better knowing it gets better and is normal.
So take heart all you mompreneurs! the struggle is real and I am right there with you. It’s worth it though to do what I love and be with my babies.
Here are some awesome pictures by the talented Elizabeth Fogarty of our little family: